In a recent e-commerce survey conducted by Front.Space, it was discovered that images and videos play a crucial role in shaping consumer trust, boosting sales, and reducing return rates. This study, encompassing 4,341 participants from India, France, the U.K., and the U.S., uncovered valuable insights that highlight the significance of visual content in the online shopping experience.
Building Trust and Boosting Sales
The survey indicated that:
- A mere 49% of shoppers had previously made purchases from unfamiliar brands online.
- However, an impressive 49% of these buyers attributed their confidence in these purchases to user reviews that featured accompanying images.
- Furthermore, 41% of respondents considered user-generated videos showcasing product usage as a top priority before making a purchase, and more than 25% insisted on having access to branded videos.
One striking revelation from the survey was that
- 36% of participants reported returning products because they did not meet their expectations based on website images.
This highlights the significant role played by the quality and accuracy of product images in preventing returns. Retailers must ensure their product galleries feature a variety of high-quality images, and they should also consider incorporating branded product videos, 3D models, 360-degree spin sets, and immersive experiences to provide a more comprehensive understanding of their products.
Combatting Cart Abandonment
High-quality images and videos were shown to have a direct impact on reducing cart abandonment rates. However, despite the effectiveness of visual content, space limitations in product galleries can pose challenges.
User-generated content (UGC) emerged as a solution, with:
- 57% of respondents expressed their trust in reviews featuring 360-degree spin sets,
- 53% preferring 3D models, and
- 50% favoring user-generated videos
Brands can enhance their performance by embracing a UGC or Influencer-led content strategy that allows users to see products in real-life contexts while maintaining brand authenticity.
The survey also examined the online shopping habits of different age groups. It was found that:
- Nearly 75% of Generation Z and Millennials primarily shop online using smartphones, while,
- Approximately 67% of Baby Boomers also engage in mobile shopping.
This underscores the importance of a mobile-first approach for retailers. To optimize visual content for mobile, automations such as content-aware cropping and selecting appropriate file formats and quality levels tailored to users' viewing contexts can be highly beneficial.
Based on these insights, e-commerce brands can take the following actionable steps to enhance digital customer engagement and overall experiences:
- Implement a mobile-first approach to ensure a consistent and engaging shopping experience across devices.
- Harness the power of UGC to enable consumers to visualize products in real-world scenarios while preserving brand identity.
- Integrate branded videos, and influencer videos and support UGC videos without compromising website performance.
- Embrace next-generation technologies like 3D modeling, 360-degree spin sets, and augmented reality to make products more interactive.
- Leverage automation and AI to adapt to market dynamics, accelerate time-to-market, and streamline image and video optimization for superior quality and performance.
Get more insights
For more on how Front.Space can enhance your online shopping experience, contact us for a free demo.